In 2012 the FBI released a Press Release that announces their deployment of the Sentinal project. Lots of information was left out that outlines their $400+ million dollar project that turned from failure to success with the switch to agile!
Related News Articles:
- How the FBI Proves Agile Works for Government Agencies – cio.com
- FBI’s Sentinel Project: 5 Lessons Learned – Information Week
- Case Study of a Difficult Federal Government Scrum Project: FBI Sentinel – Collab.net
These articles do a great job of outlining how this project proves agile works not just for small/skunk-work projects, but for some of the biggest projects to achieve success and build the right product. Some awesome conclusions are cited from the above articles by government leadership as to why the project started to succeed after the transition to agile:
- It was clear when a feature was actually done and what done means as opposed to work was applied.
- The process was transparent and progress was very clear so that planning could adapt with the reality of the project.
- Agile development was faster and cheaper.